MANCHESTER – An air conditioning malfunction lead to the partial evacuation of AristaCare Sunday morning.
Township police and five nearby fire departments responded to a call at 8:10 a.m. that smoke and a possible fire structure were at the facility on Schoolhouse Road. Crews did find smoke on the second floor west wing, but no fire. Staff began evacuating resident to the front lawn, about 150 patients and staff.
Crews discovered a transformer behind the building had shorted out, causing an air conditioner on the roof to malfunction. Smoke bled into the building. Crews were able to ventilate the facility and residents were able to return to their rooms. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters from the Whiting, Manchester and Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Department as well as crews from the Lakehurst and Joint Base Fire Departments assisted. Also assisting were EMTs from Quality Medical Transport as well as the Manchester Township Office of Emergency Management and the Ocean County Fire Marshall’s Office.