Local Firehouse Catches Fire

Photo courtesy Surf City Volunteer Fire Co.

  SURF CITY – A local fire department accidentally caught on fire Thursday evening, causing major damage and resulting in an injury, officials said.

  “We suffered a serious fire in the apparatus bay of our firehouse. An alert firefighter heard our Fire Siren sending a steady blast, which is our programmed alert indicator that the fire alarm system inside the firehouse has been activated,” the Surf City Volunteer Fire Co. said in a statement.

  When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke and flames were found inside the apparatus bay and 911 was called immediately. Fire extinguishers were used on parts of the building to hold back the fire, while Rescue Engine 4913 knocked down the rest of the flames with tank water.

  According to the Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office, the fire was deemed accidental and caused by malfunctioning electrical equipment.

  Surf City Volunteer Fire Co. said one firefighter was treated on scene for a minor injury. Additionally, the firehouse, the apparatus and ambulances suffered a great deal of smoke damage.

  “We are currently temporarily out of service, but coverage for fire suppression and Emergency Medical Services is in place from the Ship Bottom Volunteer Fire Co., High Point Volunteer Fire Company, and the Barnegat Light First Aid Squad,” the Surf City Volunteer Fire Co. said.

  They thank the mutual aid fire and EMS organizations that responded and assisted with the fire.