Vape Cigarette Explosion Starts Fire, Injures Smoker

(Photo courtesy Manchester Police)

MANCHESTER – On May 16 at approximately 7:18 p.m., members of the Manchester Township Police Department responded to a residence located on the 1300 block of New Brunswick Avenue in the Whiting section of Manchester to a report of a small explosion and structure fire.

A vape cigarette exploded while a resident was smoking it and ignited a fire inside a Whiting home on May 16. (Photo courtesy Manchester Police)

Prior to arrival, responding units were advised that there were two individuals inside the residence and that they had made their way safely outside.

Upon arrival, Ptl. Matthew Juralewicz learned that a 21-year-old male had been the victim of an explosion involving a vape cigarette. The resident suffered burns to his eyes/face and a laceration to his nose. After the explosion occurred, the liquid product of the vape fell to the floor and ignited a fire. The bedroom and hallway sustained heat and smoke damage. Quality Medical Transport transported the victim to Community Medical Center for further treatment.

Whiting Volunteer Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire before it spread and caused further damage. Members from the Ocean County Fire Marshalls Office, Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office and the Ocean County Sheriff’s Department also responded to assist with the investigation.