LAKEHURST – A fast moving early morning fire destroys a Lakehurst house and leaves a family displaced.
Lakehurst Police say the blaze broke out around 1:22 a.m. on Friday, September 21 at the Rose Street home. The cause was determined by the Ocean County Fire Marshal as being accidental in nature, starting from a remote controlled car battery.
When police officers arrived, they saw the smoke billowing from the front door and second floor windows. The Gilby family were evacuated from the home including their two teenage daughters and pets. No one was injured.
The Lakehurst Fire Department along with units from Ridgeway, Manchester, Whiting and Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst responded to the scene.
They were able to contain the damage to the kitchen area but smoke and soot destroyed a number of the Gilby Family’s possessions.
A GoFundMe page has been set up by Jessica Fisher. On the page, it stated “Shanan Gilby and family are displaced from an unfortunate incident when their home caught on fire.
They lost everything from the smoke and soot. Thank you all for your support and generosity. Any donation is greatly appreciated and will serve as a foundation for them to rebuild their lives.”
A similar message was posted on the Lakehurst Fire Department’s Facebook page. It stated “The Gilby family have been long time supporters of the fire department. Their family, which includes 2 teenage daughters and pets, were displaced by a fire in their home very early this morning. Any help is greatly appreciated.”
If you would like to help, visit the GoFundMe page by clicking here.