JACKSON – A fire at a Jackson home has claimed the life of one dog, while another dog and the owner made it to safety, police report.
Ocean County Scanner News was the first to report the blaze.
Police and fire crews responded to the scene on Ridgedale Avenue at approximately 9 p.m. on Sunday, Feb. 24. The owner escaped the fire safely and was later transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation treatment.
While firefighters managed to rescue both dogs from the fire, one passed away. The other dog was brought to Northstar Veterinary Hospital, police said.
From the scene, police noticed the fire was stemming from the kitchen area of the home. Officials continue to investigate, but they think unattended cooking could have been the source.