BRICK – A Brick man suffered first degree burns during a pizzeria fire over the weekend, according to the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office.
The fire was due to an explosion that occurred when owner Giovanni Costagliola of Rondo’s Pizzeria tried to ignite the pizza oven. The explosion happened after he pressed the oven’s ignitor button and lit a match.
Costagliola suffered first degree burns to his head during the incident and was later transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center, where he is being treated, according to the prosecutor’s office.
Police and fire responded to the scene at approximately 10:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 23. The fire has been ruled accidental by investigators.
An oven malfunction could not be ruled out.