Lavallette Condo Fire Under Probe

An accidental fire in the early morning hours of May 25 injured one person in Lavallette. (Photo courtesy Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office)

LAVALLETTE – A condo fire that broke out in the early morning hours of May 25 on Grand Central Avenue in Lavallette has been deemed accidental following an investigation.

Despite intense flames discovered by Lavallette Police and Fire Departments at 1:21 a.m. on the second floor of a multi-unit condominium building located at 1806 Grand Central Avenue, only one minor injury was sustained. The 45-year-old male was transported to Community Medical Center for injuries he obtained while jumping from the building’s second floor to escape the fire and smoke. Seaside Heights and Seaside Park Fire Departments extinguished the flames.

The investigation that followed found that the fire originated along outdoor carpeting covering a balcony walkway on the second floor. Although it was deemed accidental, smoking waste was not ruled out as the cause of the fire.

Also assisting in the investigation was the Ocean County Prosecutor’s Office Major Crimes/Arson Unit, Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office, Ocean County Sheriff’s Department Crime Scene Investigation Unit and Lavallette Police Department.