House Fire Caused By Cigarette

Photo courtesy Ocean County Scanner News

  TOMS RIVER – A Toms River home caught fire yesterday due to improperly discarded smoking materials, according to Chief Fire Inspector Kevin Esposito.

  On Feb. 25, Toms River Fire Companies 1 and 2 responded to a structure fire at 138 Joanna Drive in the township. With the help of East Dover Fire Company, Silverton Fire Company, and Pleasant Plains Fire Company, the fire was soon extinguished.

  Toms River Fire Company 1 Chief Mike Muttie reported that no one was in the home at the time of the fire and no injuries have been reported.

  It was determined that the fire started outside the home from improperly discarded smoking materials and then traveled into the garage.

ADVERTISEMENT

  The Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention continues to remind everyone:

  • Smoke outside, it is always safer.
  • Put cigarettes out all the way, every time.
  • Don’t walk away from lit cigarettes and other smoking materials.
  • Be alert: Do not smoke after taking medicine that makes you tired.
  • Never smoke around medical oxygen because it can explode if a flame is near.
  • Never smoke in bed: Mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily or you may fall asleep with a lit cigarette.
  • Put your cigarette out in an ashtray or bucket with a wide base filled with sand.