Car Goes Up In Flames From Lithium Ion Battery Fire

Photo courtesy Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention

  TOMS RIVER – What looks like a giant explosion inside a small sedan was the result of a Lithium-Ion battery fire, officials said.

  Flames from the fire completely melted away the seats of the car, with the roof of the car coming a part.

  Firefighters from the Pleasant Plains Fire Company responded to the car fire earlier today that was caused by a wireless phone charger inside the car.

Photo courtesy Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention

   According to Chief Inspector John Novak, the battery charger was left on a car seat. The owner said that the charger had not been working properly.

ADVERTISEMENT

  Many manufacturers recommend that Li-ion batteries are not left in direct sunlight, Novak said, and owners should follow all manufacturer instructions.

Photo courtesy Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention