OCEAN COUNTY – You might notice some additional police and emergency services on the roads Thursday. Chances are, you’re just seeing a drill.
The State Department of Transportation put out a message letting people know that there will be a hurricane evacuation exercise on Thursday, June 7.
No roads will be closed. However, crews will be staging the placement of cones, barrels, and message boards near where they would normally go in an emergency, but not actually into the roadways. In an emergency, those would be used to create a flow of traffic for an evacuation.
There might be more emergency vehicles on the following roadways:
- Atlantic City Expressway (entire length from Atlantic City to Washington Township)
- Garden State Parkway (mile post 0 in Lower Township to mile post 38 in Egg Harbor)
- I-195 (mile post 6 in Robbinsville to about mile post 34 in Wall)
- Route 72 (mile post 13.8 in Barnegat to approximately mile post 29 in Ship Bottom)
- Route 47 (mile post 16 to 21 in Dennis, and approximately mile post 32 to 35 in Maurice River)
- Route 347 (mile post 0 in Dennis to about mile post 9 in Maurice River)
There will be message signs on the side of the road to let people know that there is an exercise underway. Drivers can also check 511nj.org for up-to-date information.