OCEAN COUNTY – The Ocean County Freeholders introduced a set of ordinances that would appropriate nearly $14 million in road and bridge improvements throughout the area.
The total money appropriated would be $13.9 million, fueled by $13,205,000 in bonds.
Freeholder John Kelly said that these are just pieces of the county’s entire plan for improving bridges and roads.
“It will probably be $25-30 million by year’s end,” he said.
Township engineer John Ernst gave an overview of the kinds of projects done.
Repaving often has workers mill off two inches and put another two inches down, he said. When the street is being worked on, they try to address other problems while the street is open. Therefore, they might pick that time to fix pipes if that is needed. This could also involve restriping, pedestrian crosswalks and handicap ramps at the corners.
Stormwater improvements usually involve drainage but could include filters to clean up where the water is going.
The traffic control work could be a new signal, or an improvement of an existing one. It could also include radar signs that tell drivers if they are speeding. There are about 450 traffic signals in the county right now, he said
Bridge work includes design and repair. There are approximately 250 bridges in the county, he said. Many of them are 40 to 50 years old and are made from weaker material than they can be made from today.
Part of the money will go toward obtaining state permits and licenses. Projects will be done in the following towns:
- Toms River: Repaving on Kettle Creek Road from Hooper Avenue to Green Isle; on North Maple, from Route 9 to New Hampshire Avenue; and on Hickory Street, from Route 9 to New Hampshire. Stormwater improvements to the intersection of Church Road and Old Freehold Road, and Church Road and Todd. Widening of Old Freehold Road.
- Jackson: Stormwater improvements to Whitesville Culvert. Traffic control work at the intersection of Hope Chapel Road and Whitesville Road. Bridge work on Grawton Bridge.
- Plumsted: Repaving project on Front/Magnolia/Archertown, from Brindletown to West Colliers Mills.
- Brick: Bridge repairs on Beaver Dam Bridge and the Mantoloking Bridge, on Burnt Tavern Road and Van Zile Road; and on Burnt Tavern at Greenbriar. Replacement of Midstreams Bridge.
- Berkeley: Design work on Zebb’s Bridge on Route 530.
- Lakewood: Traffic control work at Cedar Bridge Road and the Avenue of the Americas; New Hampshire and America Avenue; New Hampshire and Ridge; Vine and Cedar Bridge; Prospect Street and Massachusetts.
- Manchester: Traffic control work at the intersection of Ridgeway Road and Ridgeway Boulevard. Design of Ridgeway Bridge.
- Point Pleasant Beach: Repaving project on Arnold Avenue and Broadway, from Route 35 to Ocean Avenue.
- Little Egg Harbor: Stormwater improvements to Otis Bog Culvert.
- Stafford: Bridge repairs on Mayetta Bridge
- Barnegat: Design of East Branch Culvert.
- Waretown: Bridge work on the Main Street Bridge
- Lavallette: Stormwater improvements to Presidents Avenue.
- Seaside Park: Stormwater improvements to 14th Avenue.