JACKSON — Halloween season returns and with it, the infamous Six Flags 30-Hour Coffin Challenge! This year’s event will feature an extra special guest emcee: The Munsters star Butch Patrick.
Returning to Six Flags’ Fright Fest celebration, the 30-Hour Coffin Challenge will take place on Oct. 13 and 14, featuring a variety of new rules and ghastly games.
Last year, over 4,000 people applied to be one of the six coffin-dwellers, all of which survived the sleepless, frightful event. This year, Six Flags has implemented some new rules to ensure that there will be only one grand prize winner and runners up. Challenges will offer coffin dwellers the chance to earn points, and penalize them if they waive a challenge.
Highlights of this year’s challenge include:
- Fully-covered coffin lid with just a small mesh hole for that ultra-claustrophobic feeling
- Games that include live bugs, pungent food items and trivia to earn points, penalties and a “Get Out of the Coffin” card
- Fewer bathroom, stretch and phone breaks – coffin dwellers will only be permitted to leave the coffin once for 13 minutes every three hours to use the restroom or their phones
- Sleep deprivation with Yacht Rock and songs like “Baby Shark” on repeat during overnight hours;
- Applications accepted from individuals and pairs who want to conquer the event together; and
- Guest emcee Butch Patrick, who starred as Eddie in The Munsters
The grand prize winner will receive $600, two Six Flags Gold Passes and two Fright Fest Haunted Maze Passes. Runners up will receive items ranging from Fright Fest day passes to season passes.
If you feel daring enough to take on the spooky challenge, you can apply through through Sept. 22 on sixflags.com/greatadventure/coffin-challenge. Finalists will be chosen the week of Sept 23. The event will begin Sunday, Oct. 13 at 1 p.m. with a Laying to Rest Ceremony, and conclude Monday, Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. with a Raising from the Dead Ceremony.