DWI Arrest And Assault Charges After Traffic Stop, Two Officers Injured

File Photo

JACKSON – A 53-year-old Howell man was arrested for DWI and other offenses after police witnessed him driving his vehicle erratically on Oct. 31 at 9:53 p.m.

The man, who Jackson Township Police did not identify, was charged with driving while intoxicated, driving with a suspended driver’s license and other motor vehicle offenses, eluding, resisting arrest, aggravated assault on a police officer, hindering apprehension, obstruction and operating a motor vehicle while suspended for a DWI offense.

Jackson Township Police Officer Derek Thomason was patrolling West County Line Road when he saw the 2001 Honda being driven erratically. He stopped the Honda, being driven by the 53-year-old Howell man, and smelled alcohol coming from the car. The man appeared to be drunk. He pulled away at a high rate of speed during the stop.

Thomason pursued, following the man onto Brewers Bridge Road. The man was going more than 70 miles per hour, according to police. He turned onto Oxford Road, abandoned his car and ran away on foot. Thomason pursued him on foot.

The man allegedly reached for his pockets, at which time Thomason unholstered his gun and ordered the man to remove his hands from his pockets. The man did, but then approached Thomason. He holstered his gun and attempted to take the man into custody, when a physical struggle ensued. The two fell to the ground with the man grabbing at Thomason.

Jackson Township Officers Cassie De La Torre and Javier De La Torre arrived to assist. They attempted to place handcuffs on the man, but could not gain control of his hands. They were finally able to subdue him and arrested him.

The man was apparently reaching for a screwdriver in his pocket.

Officers Thomason and Cassie De La Torre were treated by first aid for minor injuries.

The man was treated and transported to an area hospital, complaining of being on the verge of a heart attack.

While blood was being drawn at the hospital, the man again attacked police officers handling him. He was released and processed at police headquarters, then taken to Ocean County Jail.