HOWELL – The fire that broke out in a local chain restaurant early New Year’s Day is still under investigation, an official said.
Howell Township Fire Bureau Chief Robert H. Lewis told Jersey Shore Online Wednesday that while the investigation into how that fire started at Applebee’s on Route 9 is ongoing, it is not considered suspicious.
“The building will need some work to clean up and replace some equipment. There has been no time frame established by this office as to reopening,” Lewis said in an email. “I can tell you that Applebee’s has already put in motion a team to get the work done ASAP.”
The Southard Fire Dept. No. 1 reported on its Facebook page that crews arrived Tuesday morning and “confirmed fire extending out of the duct exhaust system.”
The Howell Township Police Department reported no injuries.
Adelphia Fire Company, Freewood Acres Fire Company No. 1, Jackson Township Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 – Station 55, Howell Township Fire Bureau, Howell OEM, as well as New Jersey Natural Gas, the Monmouth County Health Department, and JCP&L responded to the scene.
The restaurant remains closed.