Grease Fire Makes Apartment Uninhabitable

Fire. (File photo)
Fire. (File photo)

  BERKELEY – A grease fire in a kitchen rendered one apartment uninhabitable.

  The fire was reported at around 11 a.m. on April 6. The location was the Berkeley Gardens Apartments, building B, on Frederick Drive.

  Police said that when they arrived, the resident had already extinguished the fire. There was heavy smoke so nearby residents were evacuated and checked for medical issues.

  Ultimately, the neighbors returned to their homes but the resident of the apartment where the fire was could not. The building inspector said that the apartment was temporarily uninhabitable due to heavy fire damage to the kitchen and smoke damage throughout. The officers worked with the local Red Cross organization to find the victim a temporary place to stay.

  The Berkeley Township Police Department, the Berkeley Township Fire Official, the Bayville Fire Department, Bayville EMS and the Ocean County Fire Marshal’s Office all responded and assisted.