TOMS RIVER – This year marks the 17th anniversary of the September 11, 2011 attack on the World Trade Center.
Toms River Fire Companies 1 and 2 will host a Firefighter Memorial ceremony to honor the anniversary at 9:30 a.m. at the corner of Washington Street and Robbins Street in downtown Toms River.
The ceremony will honor the memories of those lives lost, including 400 emergency personnel, during the attacks. Of all those lost, 21 hailed from Ocean County including:
- John Badagliacca, of Brick and Staten Island.
- Brett T. Bailey of Brick
- Christopher S. Cramer of Manahawkin
- John Robert Cruz of Jersey City, formerly of Lakewood
- Robert P. Devitt Jr. of Plainsboro, a 1983 graduate of Brick Township High School
- Michael D. Diehl of Brick
- Patrick Joseph Driscoll of Point Pleasant Beach
- Patricia M. Fagan of Toms River
- Harvey J. Gardner III of Lakewood
- William H. Kelly Jr. of Long Beach Township
- Robert C. “Bob” Kennedy of Toms River
- Joseph Mangano of Jackson
- Fred Morrone of Lakewood
- Edward K. Oliver of Jackson
- Jon A. Perconti of Brick
- Susan M. Pollio of Long Beach Township
- James Sands Jr. of Brick
- Raphael “Ralph” Scorca of Beachwood
- Thomas Sgroi of Brick
- Catherine Smith of Long Beach Township
- Christopher M. Traina of Brick
The ceremony will be held inside town hall in the event of rain.
Toms River Fire Companies 1 and 2 will also hold a ceremony on September 29 with the flag that flew at World Trade Center following the attacks. The flag will be flown for 9 minutes and 11 seconds at each of the township’s fire companies and at the Toms River Fire Academy. A final ceremony will be held at 4 p.m.