2nd Person Dies From Rip Currents

Photo courtesy Ocean County Scanner News

  OCEAN COUNTY – After enduring a dangerous rip current and being pulled from the surf, a Connecticut woman has died from her injuries, the second to do so on the Jersey Shore in recent days.

  On September 18, multiple swimmers off 8th Avenue and Ocean Avenue in Ortley Beach were victims of dangerous water conditions.

  A 27-year-old woman from Brookfield, Connecticut, was among a group a four people who were caught in a rip current, police said. The woman was seen going under water multiple times and did not appear to be moving. A rescue wave runner from Seaside Heights Fire Department was able to bring her to shore.

  The firefighters onboard the wave runner performed CPR as they brought her to the beach. Once on the beach, EMS and medics continued CPR and were able to regain a pulse prior to her being transported to Community Medical Center.


  The other three people in the group were also rescued. A Freehold man and another Connecticut woman had to be taken to the hospital. A second man did not need any medical attention.

  This was just one of several water emergencies that happened over the past weekend at the Jersey Shore.

  On that same day at Brick Beach I, a 54-year-old man drowned after a rescue attempt. Two surfers tried to rescue the man after seeing him in distress. Although they were able to get his head out of the water, the surfers couldn’t get him onto the beach.

  The Coast Guard was able to pull the man out of the water and brought him to the Coast Guard Station in Point Pleasant Beach where Point Pleasant Beach EMS was waiting. CPR and lifesaving measures were performed as the man was being transported to Hackensack Meridian Ocean Medical Center in Brick. There, the man succumbed to his injuries.

  According to the Seaside Heights Fire Department, more than 12 distress calls were logged from Saturday. Several police patrolled up and down the shore due to the number of distress calls coming in.