LACEY – Local families can do more than just sunbathe at Lake Barnegat this summer. Lacey Township Recreation recently cut the ribbon on the new Wibit floating playground, which is a big, inflatable water park for kids to run, jump, and swim.
Township officials held a grand opening at Lake Barnegat for the Wibit playground on June 29.
The inclusion of the inflatable park was meant as a revitalization effort on behalf of the recreation department. According to the recreation department, the township hopes to bring the number of lakefront visitors up with the addition of the $160,000 inflatable water park.
Kids can swing from the monkey bars and jump from piece to piece during play time on the unique playground.
The park was purchased from Wisconsin-based Commercial Recreation Specialists. Officials believe the park will pay for itself from user fees over the course of the next few years.
For a small fee, residents and visitors can bounce and climb across the inflatable playground from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. daily throughout the summer months.
According to Lacey Recreation, beach badge holders can pay $10 for an hour of play time on the Wibit. While only Lacey residents can be beach badge holders, this does not mean the playground is closed to everyone else. Non-residents can pay $15 per hour to play.
Only 45 people are allowed on the Wibit at once during the hour and lifeguards will be stationed all over the park. Three guards will be located on the park and one on the perimeter. Police will also keep a close eye to ensure safety via cameras and monitors.
Residents can also rent the Wibit out for private parties by calling the Recreation Office at 609-693-1100 ext. 2203. The recreation department requests that payments be made by cash or check only. Visitors can purchase wristbands to play on the Wibit at Lake Barnegat.
While the inflatable park is mostly fun and games, there are a few rules to abide by to ensure everyone’s safety:
- Must wear a life jacket
- Must be 8 years of age or older
- Must remove all jewelry, keys, glasses, sunglasses and sharp objects from their person and must be wearing swimming apparel only
- Access onto the floating equipment via the designated yellow steps only. Do not climb up onto the equipment; you must swim to the designated yellow steps
- Do not swim underneath any piece of equipment
- Enter the water feet first including all slides.
- No head first diving or flips are permitted
- Horseplay is prohibited
- Listen to the lifeguards
- Do not access the playground when no lifeguards are present