OCEAN COUNTY – Ocean County Vocational Technical School recently graduated 61 students from the Practical Nursing program during its 95th commencement ceremony.
The graduates were recognized during the traditional pinning ceremony where they each received a pin from a member of the faculty or by a family member who is also a nursing professional. Of the 61 graduates, 27 were pinned by family members.
The Ocean County Foundation for Vocational Technical Education also presented Awards of Academic Excellence/Outstanding Student Awards to some of the graduates including:
- Lori Drozdowski from Barnegat, for maintaining the highest grade point average
- Ada Isaacs from Lakehurst, for maintaining the second highest average
- LaSavia Hairston from Brick, for maintaining the third highest grade point average throughout the program.
The Practical Nursing program also includes numerous hours of clinic rotations at local health care facilities. These clinical rotations help to provide nursing students with great learning opportunities as well as a chance for special recognition from the professional nursing staff.
The Perlmutter Shop Rite of Ocean County and the HealthSouth Clinical Excellence awards were presented to:
- Norma Vivas from Bayville
- Allona Farley-Grooms from Lakewood.
The Pilot Sister Survivorship Awards were presented to:
- T’Naiya Kearney, from Lakewood
- Maritess Garcia, from Lakewood
- Emara Montgomery, from Lakewood
- Rosa Espinosa from Toms River.
These awards were presented by Tina Pilot and Lisa Pilot-Dunfee, sisters and breast cancer survivors.
Following graduation, the nursing students are now ready to take the National Council Licensure Examination for qualification as a Licensed Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN).
For more information about the Practical Nursing program at OCVTS visit ocvts.org or call 732-473-3100 extension 3137.