Shoe-shopping enthusiasts are getting ready to say goodbye to a long-time shoe retailer in the area. Payless ShoeSource has announced that they will be closing all 2,100 stores nationwide, 24 of which are located in New Jersey.
The company announced the closure on Friday, Feb. 15, stating that liquidation sales would begin on Feb. 17.
According to earlier reports, Payless filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy back in April 2017, immediately closing hundreds of stores.
A report by CBS New York stated: “At the time, it had over 4,400 stores in more than 30 countries. It re-emerged from restructuring four months later with about 3,500 stores and eliminated more than $435 million in debt.”
Despite the impending closures, Payless stores will remain open until the end of March, some even until May.
Payless joins the ranks of other long-time, big-name chains that have fallen victim to the online shopping trend including Toys R Us and Kmart stores.
Those who wish to get some shopping in before Payless shutters its doors for good can do so at the remaining locations near us:
- Lacey Mall: 344 Main St. Route 9, Lanoka Harbor
- Ocean County Mall: 1201 Hooper Ave Suite 99, Toms River
- Bay Harbor Plaza: 55 Brick Blvd Suite 105, Brick
- Brick Commons: 660 Route 70 Suite 4, Brick
- Lakewood Shopping Plaza: 1700 Madison Avenue , Lakewood
- Freehold Raceway Mall: 3710 Route 9 Box 2812, Freehold
- Freehold Mall Shopping Center: 3681 Route 9 Suite 11, Freehold
- Lanes Mill Marketplace: 4819 Route 9 Space B4b, Howell
- Plaza 35:1825 Route 35 #3, Wall Township.