BARNEGAT – Come down to the Barnegat Municipal Dock for the Barnegat Bay Blitz to clean up the watershed, starting at 9 a.m. on June 8.
Join Department of Environmental Protection Commissioner Catherine R. McCabe, volunteers, DEP staff and students for the event.
You will group into teams and tackle the watershed together to clean up stream banks, docks, trails, wetlands, shorelines, stormwater discharge points and more.
For more information, visit nj.gov/dep/barnegatbay/bbblitz.htm.
If you wish to join the clean-up, here are some tips:
- Provide the DEP Blitz Captain of your municipality (found at the website) with your name and contact.
- Wear gloves, and closed-toe shoes or boots
- Wear long-sleeve shirts and pants to prevent scratches and bug bites
- Don’t forget water and food
- Bring a camera to document the site
- Bring medicine if you are allergic to bee stings, bites, etc.
- Watch out for poison ivy, snakes, spiders, etc.
- Avoid animals, hives, and holes of any sort
- Don’t pick up anything too large or heavy
- Watch out for sharp objects and hazardous materials
- Separate recyclable items from trash
- Tie trash bags securely and do not overfill them.