NEW JERSEY – The New Jersey Tree Recovery Campaign—sponsored by New Jersey Forest Service, Arbor Day Foundation, New Jersey Soil Conservation Districts, Sustainable Jersey, Verizon, FedEx, and BJ’s Wholesale Club—is giving away tree seedlings at select municipal locations.
Each resident will receive five bundled 1- to 2-foot tall bare-root tree seedlings.
According to the New Jersey Forests Facebook page: “Species distributed depend on what grows best in that area. Municipalities in the northern part of the state may receive sugar maple or black oak trees, while towns in the south may receive Atlantic white cedar or other species adapted to this region. Seedlings distributed to shore towns may include bayberry or beach plum, shrubs commonly found on dunes and in other coastal environments.”
Although the giveaway is operated by municipalities, New Jersey residents are eligible to pick up tree seedlings at any location.
In Ocean County:
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 13, table setup inside gym/auditorium at Brick High School, 346 Chambers Bridge Road, Brick
- April 19, Ocean County TBD
- 3:30-7:30 p.m. April 19, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. April 20, 121 Evergreen Road, New Egypt
- 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 20 and 22, 1 Colonial Drive, Manchester
- 5-8 p.m. April 26, Mayo Park Center, Beachwood
- 9-11 a.m. April 27, Birchwood Lake Parking Lot West Shore Road, Mantoloking
- 11 a.m. April 27, River Front Park, Point Pleasant
Free tree seedlings will also be available in Howell 8 a.m. to noon April 13 at Public Works, 278 Old Tavern Road.
A full listing of giveaway dates can be found here.
For more information, contact the municipality directly.