Two Injured In Morning House Fire In Ocean County

Photo courtesy Manchester Township Police

  MANCHESTER – Two residents were injured as the result of a house catching fire Tuesday morning.

  First responders found the home on Steiner Road covered in heavy smoke and flames around 8:53 a.m. Police said the two occupants of the home were able to evacuate without help.

  Manchester Police Officers and Manchester Director of Emergency Services, Robert Baran quickly used fire extinguishing devices to contain the flames until it could be fully extinguished by responding fire personnel.

  Due to the fire, the home sustained extensive damage as well as water damage at the rear. The building inspector deemed the residence uninhabitable, police said.

Photo courtesy Manchester Township Police

  One resident, 75-year-old Caroline Karmazin, sustained minor injuries while attempting to contain the fire. The other occupant, a 17-year-old girl, suffered smoke inhalation. The two were brought to Monmouth Medical Southern Campus by Manchester Emergency Medical Services.

  According to authorities, the fire originated on a back porch possibly due to a smoking material that was improperly discarded into a trash receptacle.

  Assisting at the scene were members of the Ridgeway Volunteer Fire Company, Manchester Volunteer Fire Company, Whiting Volunteer Fire Company, Ocean County Fire Marshall, Manchester Township Building Department, Manchester Township OEM and the American Red Cross.