FREEHOLD – A teenager has been charged in a crash that killed two juveniles and injured two others in Freehold Township last year, officials said.
At the time of the crash, the defendant was 17 and due to his age, his identity is being withheld. He has been charged on juvenile complaints with two counts of second-degree Vehicular Homicide and two counts of Assault by Auto.
Around 10:30 p.m. at April 19, 2022, police were dispatched to the area of 3468 Route 9 for a single-vehicle crash. At the scene, officers found the juvenile defendant, along with four juvenile victims who had been passengers in his car.
Police said two of the victims were pronounced dead on scene. The others were transported to a local hospital for treatment.
Authorities later determined that the juvenile defendant was driving at an excessive speed, swerving in and out of lanes, when he lost control of his car, ran off the road, and struck multiple objects before rolling through a parking lot, eventually striking a steel support pole from a business sign.
Anyone with information about this incident is still being asked to contact Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office Detective Brian Boryszewski at 800-533-7443 or Freehold Township Police Officer Sean Foley at 732-462-7500.
Despite these juvenile complaints, every defendant is presumed innocent, unless and until found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, following a trial at which the defendant has all the trial rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution and State law.