BERKELEY – The first hint that something was wrong was when Miguel started having trouble with his vision.
After tests, his family received the heartbreaking news that he had an 11 mm cancerous tumor in his brain. His vision has continued to decline, and now it’s starting to impact his hearing as well.
He’s described by his family as an “adventurous, happy and kind seven-year-old boy. His smile lights up a room and his laughter is contagious.”
But he has a long road ahead. He’s already started chemo, and has undergone blood transfusions and surgery. According to the GoFundMe set up for the family, Miguel’s mother had to quit her job to care for him.
Expenses are piling up, such as rent, bills, medication, transportation to the hospital, and child care for his four siblings.
Therefore, a special event is being held on Sunday to help the family make ends meet.
When: Sept. 8, 1-6 p.m.
Where: Veterans Park, 489 Forest Hills Parkway in Berkeley.
Tickets: $10 per person (ages 3 and younger are free) This gets you two gift basket tickets, a hot dog ticket, and a drink ticket. To purchase tickets in advance, call Courtney Eisenman at 732-691-1066.
Food will be available to purchase. T-shirts will also be on sale. Proceeds go to the family.
- 1-6 p.m.: Softball games
- 1-6 p.m.: Classic car display
- 1-6 p.m.: Kid Zone. $10 wristband includes kids tattoo, games, inflatables, touch-a-truck, music, and three balls for the dunk tank. Face painting will be from 2-4 p.m.
- 1 p.m.: Live music by Jezzie MacLynn
- 1-3 p.m.: SWF Wrestlers Autographs ($5)
- 2 p.m.: Live music by ACFM
- 3 p.m.: Gift auction winners and 50/50 called
- 3:30-4 p.m.: South Toms River K9 demo
- 4 p.m.: Live music by Bill Burleigh
- 5 p.m.: Live music by Shane Sloan
If You Can’t Attend